?

Log in

Hand · Sewn · Garb


For those that believe in the details

Recent Entries · Archive · Friends · Profile

* * *
* * *
* * *
X-posted to own journal and dressdiaries



This summer I made a 17th century shirt for my husband, made after Claes Bielkenstierna's shirt found in Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion 4. I tried to keep it as close to the original as possioble and is completely sewn by hand. As this is the very first item of his 17th century outfit the pictures are a bit out of context, I think it will look a lot better with the proper clothes! I have a feeling the sleeves are a bit too long, but then they have the same measurements as the original shirt, so with the proper jacket it may be perfectly fine. For the moment the ties are made out of cotton tape, but as soon as I find linen tape I am going to change them. I was terribly afraid that the collar would be too narrow, but it is perhaps a bit too wide. The shirt is completely hand sewn and I started it two months ago, though I can't say that I have stithed on it daily.


Read more...Collapse )
* * *
* * *
* * *
* * *
* * *
* * *
If you don't already have a copy (and maybe if you do!), David Brown Book Co. has this lovely book on sale for $7.98!!! Retail price is $33.95. You must use discount code 492-12 at checkout.

(I love this book. I'm very seriously considering buying a second copy!)

ETA: I found this sale in their paper catalog, so you might have to call them. It was listed in the "Textiles -- Bargains" section.

Current Mood:
pleased pleased
* * *
Trial run for seams on green tunic

I'm getting ready to finish a light green linen t-tunic and want to do a decorative seam treatment with contrast color thread. The pic above is my sample piece. The way I've done the seams this time, single or double running stitch will work best, so that's what I'm going with, though I found some dark green linen thread I think I'm going to use rather than the light mauve above.

When y'all do decorative seams, do you do the contrast color with all of the seams, or just, say, the gores, hem, neck, and sleeves?

Also, how many stitches do you try to get per inch?

Thanks in advance!
Saerlaith
* * *
Crossposted in my own journal.


I finished my 17th century shift a while ago and here are, finally, some pictures. Unfortunately there are very few 17th century rooms in our flat, so the settings isn't quite right. I used a pattern in Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion 4, a smock that supposedly have belonged to Charles II's queen Catherine of Braganza, or some of her ladies-in-waiting. The original is lavishly decorated with lace, but I made mine plain. I wanted to use this particular pattern as it has an oblong neckline that fits well with a 17th century gown with an off-the-shoulder neckline. It also have rectangular inserts cartridge-pleated There is a more eloquent post about the pattern here. to the sides instead of the usual triangular ones, which I wanted to try just for the fun of it.

Read more...Collapse )
* * *
* * *

Previous